North Fork Towns

Aquebogue

The Indian word Aquebogue, translated to mean "end of the water place" or "head of the bay" was the name given for entire area called the Aquebogue Purchase, acquired by the Town of Southold from the Indians between 1648-1649.

Details »

Baiting Hollow

Baiting Hollow, part of the Aquebogue purchase, was established in 1660 as it was divided into 60 lots. Named for the Hollow Pond and an inn owned by Jed or Gilbert Aldredge, horse and driver enjoyed rest and refreshment from their journeys.

Details »

Calverton

Conungum or Kanungum, meaning a "fixed line" or "boundary" was the Indian name for Calverton which it was officially named in 1868 when Bernard J. Calvert traveled to Washington to request a post office for the town, and appointment as its first postmaster. Calverton was also called Baiting Hollow after the rail road was brought through in 1844 and Hulse's Turnout as a mark for travelers to head North to Hulse's Place in Wading River.

Details »

Cutchogue

The name Cutchogue is derived from an Algonquin word meaning "principal place." Many of the local Native Americans lived at Fort Corchaug before English-American settlers began arriving in 1640. The Old House, built in 1649, is the oldest English-style house in the village.

Details »

Flanders

The early Dutch settlers named Flanders in the late 18th Century as it reminded them of a region in their Holland homeland. Cordwood was produced here and Flanders was used as rest stop for loggers heading towards the South Fork wood lots. Families from New York City and Western Long Island would spend their summers in this resort town. 

Details »

Greenport

The village of Greenport is located in the town of Southold and is the only incorporated community in the town.

Greenport is a major "port" for its area, having developed strong fishing and whaling industry.

Details »

Jamesport

"The name Aquebogue was first applied to the entire area of the Aquebogue purchase. Later, it was attached to the ancient village now called Jamesport."

Details »

Laurel

"A pretty village at peace with all the world," was the description given to Laurel in a survey done in the 1900s.

Details »

Northville

The Hamlet of Northville, formerly known as Sound Avenue and Success Post Office, was the first and only incorporated village in Riverhead Township for a brief period of time and was a productive farming community.

Details »

Orient

Located on the easternmost tip of Long Island’s North Fork, Orient NY is peaceful village overlooking the Long Island Sound. For years, honeymooners have chosen Orient as the perfect hideaway for their romantic rendezvous.

Details »

Riverhead

Riverhead has been the Suffolk County seat since 1727; however, it did not become a township for another 65 years.

Details »

Shelter Island

Shelter Island is nestled between the North and South Forks of Long Island. The island is surrounded on three sides by Shelter Island Sound. The fourth side, on the east, is adjacent to Gardiners Bay.

Details »

South Jamesport

"The name Aquebogue was first applied to the entire area of the Aquebogue purchase. Later, it was attached to the ancient village now called Jamesport."

Details »

Southold

Yennecott was name given to the land stretching from Orient Point to Wading River by the Corchaug Indians. Founded in 1640 as Southold, the Puritans who came from the colony of New Haven, settled the area and acquired title to the land. The Reverend John Youngs and his Puritan followers left New Haven in October of that year. Eventually, the Indians who originally owned the land were forced to leave or were enslaved.

Details »

Wading River

As decreed by the Brookhaven Town fathers in 1671, " there shall be a settlement of eight families or eight men in Wading River." Around 1680 settlers from Southold Town joined the early settlers and attempted to change Wading River's name to Westholde, but failed.

Details »